The wider Caucasus is a region marked by a set of frozen conflicts. Bottom-up and transnational initiatives can and must be applied to break the ice. Due to our long-standing engagement in workshop-based dialogue, we have become a recognised facilitator in the region. We are currently expanding our activities and extending our coordinating role to new communities and neighbouring countries. Empowering cross-regional local initiatives and addressing the issues of history, identity and memory are at the heart of our work. Thus, we focus on non-state actors, multipliers and young academics.
- History, Memory and Identity
In our work on History, Memory and Identity in the Georgian-Abkhaz-South-Ossetian conflict, participants from different age-groups in all three regions engage in a dialogue on history. more >
The Berghof Foundation is an active member of the FriEnt Round-Table South Caucasus, which the Working Group on Peace and Development (Arbeitsgemeinschaft Frieden und Entwicklung, FriEnt) has been conducting since 2008. FriEnt is an association of governmental organisations, church development agencies, civil society networks, and political foundations. It aims to pool capacities, support networking and cooperation, and contribute to conflict-sensitive development cooperation.
The Round-Table has the purpose to facilitate networking and exchange of approaches to and developments in the Caucasus. It is organised biannually and in accordance to the Chatham House Rule. In 2013, the Berghof Foundation’s Caucasus team co-organised and hosted the Round-Table meeting on Post-election and Peacebuilding - New Potentials for Peacebuilding and Inclusion.
- Young Facilitators Group more >
- Engagement Through Dialogue more >
- Georgian-Abkhaz Track 1.5 Dialogue more >
- Peace Counts Goes Caucasus more >
From Other Programmes
- Peace Counts on Tour more >
- Reconciliation in Practice more >
- Oliver Wolleh: The Sixth Day. Coloured Pencil Report No. 4. 2011. PDF >
- Oliver Wolleh: “Nachgang” zum Georgienkrieg. Chancen einer Status-neutralen Annäherungsstrategie für Abchasien und Südossetien. In: Wissenschaft & Frieden, 2/2009. Link >
- Oliver Wolleh: A Difficult Encounter. The Informal Georgian-Abkhazian Dialogue Process. 2006. Report No. 12. Hardcopy >
Berghof Spotlight No 2
Berghof Spotlight No 1
Berghof Dialogue Diary No 2
Berghof Dialogue Diary No 1