The Service Center strengthens peace building at schools in Baden-Württemberg. It supports teachers in the preparation of lessons and projects, offers training activities and develops learning media on the topics of war and peace, conflict and violence. Furthermore, the Service Center promotes the systematic integration of these topics into educational plans as well as the networking between curricular and extracurricular actors in the field of peace building. The Berghof Foundation is responsible for the Service Center together with the State Agency for Civic Education and the ministry of education, youth and sports Baden-Württemberg. The Service Center is located at the conference center "Haus auf der Alb" of the State Agency for Civic Education Baden-Württemberg in Bad Urach.
2015 - 2017
www.friedensbildung-bw.de (in German)
Violence, war and terrorism evoke a massive fear of the future in children and youth. The growing number of refugees increases the uncertainty, while simultaneously more and more young people are searching for their own role with regard to topics like war and peace. School increasingly becomes a crucial place for discussing questions and challenges that result thereof. This includes the sensitive handling of pupils concerned as well as the dealing with topical factual issues. One of these topics is the evaluation of current security and peace political developments including the German foreign policy. The utmost concern of peace building at schools is to encourage a joint reflection on peaceful coexistence in schools, in the own society and in the whole world.
The Service Center is a nationwide unique undertaking for the promotion of peace education at schools. The Service Center is based a joint declaration, signed by the Ministry of Education youth and sports Baden-Württemberg, 17 peace organisations and the Trade Union for Education and Science. In this declaration, the Ministry commits itself to establishing structural conditions for peace building in Baden-Württemberg. As a result of intensive and constructive discussions between the three actors involved, the Ministry, the State Agency for Civic Education Baden-Württemberg and the Berghof Foundation have signed a treaty on the establishment of the Service Center in April 2015.
The treaty establishing the Service Centre states: "The Service Center supports schools in Baden-Württemberg in their work concerning peace education. Hereto, the Service Center aims at providing suitable print and online materials, trainings and further education for young adults in peace education at schools, and at networking of activities of the joint declaration's signatories and the State Agency for Civic Education Baden-Württemberg. Acknowledged principles of political educational work are considered."
The Servicestelle offers advanced trainings for teachers in cooperation with Governmental Organisations and qualifies young adults as teamers for school projects. Interested teaching staff meets at the Georg Zundel House of the Berghof Foundation for an "Educational Forum on Peace Building". Together with experienced teachers the Berghof Foundation develops learning media and offers the multiply tested learning circle "Peace Counts School".
The Service Center with its offers addresses teaching staff of schools in Baden-Württemberg. By implementing and supporting projects pupils are also reached. Finally, the cross-linking with NGOs and peace organisations facilitates the opening of schools.
The ministry of education, youth and sports Baden-Württemberg and the State Agency for Civic Education Baden-Württemberg are partners of the project and support the Service Center.
Here, information on activities of Berghof Foundation staff linked to peace education at schools in Baden-Württemberg can be found. Further activities are listed on the website of the Service Center.
- 30. November 2017 - Peace Counts workshop with prospective industrial mechanics. Protestant Community Center, Reutlingen
- 16. November 2017 - Peace Counts workshop with prospective motor mechanics. Protestant Community Center, Reutlingen
- 02. February 2017 - Teacher training. Comburg, Schwäbisch Hall
- 20. December 2016 - two Peace Counts workshops with classes 10 and 11. Kepler Gymnasium, Tübingen
- 12. May 2016 - Teacher training. Comburg, Schwäbisch Hall
- 04. May 2016 - Workshop during the "Day of Cultures". Schickard School, Tübingen
- 12.-14. February 2016 - Training of trainers by the Service Center Peace Education about the method "Peace Counts"
- 11. February 2016 - Peace education in social work. Workshop for participants of the federal voluntary service of the Workers' Welfare Federal Association Stuttgart, Georg Zundel Haus, Tübingen
- 26. January 2016 - "Making Peace". Workshop for the 12th grade of the ethics course, Geschwister-Scholl-Schule Tübingen, Georg Zundel Haus Tübingen
- 18. December 2015 - Peace building at schools. Workshops for prospective teachers at the PH Ludwigsburg
- 25. November 2015 - Flight and War in class. Workshop within the multi-cultural day at the Christiane-Herzog-Schule, Heilbronn
- 06. November 2015 - Peace education at schools. Workshop for prospective teachers at the PH Ludwigsburg
- 04. November 2015 - Peace education in social work. Workshop for participants of the federal voluntary service of the Workers' Welfare Federal Association Stuttgart, Georg Zundel Haus, Tübingen
- 09. September 2015 - Peace education at schools. Talk at the State Academy for training and human resources development at schools, Esslingen
- 24. July 2015 - Flight and War in class. Workshops within the frame of the project days at the Eugen-Bolz Gymnasium, Rottenburg
Only in German available:
- Berghof Foundation (Hrsg.): Frieden lernen interaktiv -Projektvorschlag für Schulen. Pädagogisches Begleitprogramm zur Ausstellung "Peace Counts. Die Erfolge der Friedensmacher". Friedensbildung Heft 1 / 2016.
- Berghof Foundation (Hrsg.): Gewissensfragen - (Ein) Leben im Nahost-Konflikt. Didaktisches Begleitheft zur DVD "Yehuda Schauls Entscheidung: Das Schweigen brechen". Friedensbildung Heft 2 / 2016 (available from March 2016).