Barbara Unger is the Programme Director for Latin America at the Berghof Foundation. Previously, she was the Deputy Director of one of the foundation's predecessors, Berghof Peace Support. Contributing to conflict transformation through better process design and reflective learning is one of her main interests. Before joining Berghof, Barbara was a freelance advisor and a trainer for peace and conflict, a coordinator of the zivik project 2002-2004, and she previously worked with German Development Cooperation.
Barbara holds a BA and MA equivalent in Political Science, a BA in Latin American Studies from the Free University of Berlin, and a post-graduate certificate with the German Development Institute. In 2014, she completed training as an organisational consultant. She is a long-term activist and a member of Peace Brigades International, a member of the German Platform for Conflict Management, and was a board member of the Forum Ziviler Friedensdienst.
- Antonia Montanus, Nele Rathke, Barbara Unger: Organisations under pressure but powering on - the psychosocial approach within integrated management of threat. 2016. A model for human rights organisations and donor organisations. PDF > Spanish >
- Barbara Unger, Der Friedensprozess in Kolumbien: Friedensabkommen, Friedensnobelpreis und noch kein Frieden, FriEnt Impuls 2016. Link >
- Barbara Unger, Véronique Dudouet, Matteo Dressler and Beatrix Austin (eds.). “Undeclared Wars”– Exploring a Peacebuilding Approach to Armed Social Violence. Berghof Handbook Dialogue Series No. 12. Berlin: Berghof Foundation. PDF >
- Uta Giebel & Barbara Unger: There is no way around it: We need strong teams for working on fragile and conflict contexts. 2015. Bonn: GIZ/Cercapaz. PDF >
- Isabel Cristina Correa Tamayo, Carlos Hernán Fernández Niño, Iván Marulanda Gómez et al.: Nuestro territorio, nuestra paz. 2015. Medellín. Aprendizajes para la construcción de paz territorial con comunidades campesinas en Antioquia (Colombia) – Un insumo para los departamentos. PDF >
- Barbara Unger, Claire Launay-Gama, Mauricio García Durán et al.: Diez Propuestas para la paz en Colombia desde la regiones. 2014. Berlin, Bogotá & Paris. PDF >