Conflict Transformation Research
Matteo Dressler is a Research Fellow and researcher for the Conflict Transformation Research programme. His current research interests include nonviolent resistance and democratic transitions, inclusivity in peace processes and armed social violence in post-conflict societies. During the last two years he has also extensively researched the European Union’s capabilities in supporting peacebuilding endeavors with a focus on decentralization and Multi-Track-Diplomacy. Before he joined the Berghof Foundation in 2015, he has worked for the German Development Cooperation (GIZ) in Nicaragua and Germany on governance, risk management and police reform projects. Matteo holds a Bachelor’s degree in European studies from Bremen University and a Master’s Degree in Peace and Conflict Studies from Uppsala University.
- Dressler, Matteo. 2018. “The EU’s Decentralisation Reform Support for Peacebuilding in Ukraine: a Whole of Society Perspective”, in: Peacebuilding (Journal)
- Bayer, Markus, Bethke, Felix S. and Matteo Dressler. 2017. “How nonviolent resistance helps to consolidate gains for civil society after democratic transition”. Minds of the movement Blog. Washington: International Center on Nonviolent Conflict. https://www.nonviolent-conflict.org/blog_post/how-nonviolent-resistance-helps-consolidate-gains-democratization/
- Dudouet, Véronique and Matteo Dressler. 2016. “Assessing EU multi-track diplomacy in Ukraine, Georgia, Mali and Yemen: a Scoping Report.” Report submitted to the European Commission under the Horizon 2020 research framework. https://www.berghof-foundation.org/fileadmin/redaktion/Publications/Other_Resources/Scoping_studies_WOSCAP/Scoping_Study_-_Multitrack_Diplomacy.pdf
- Lundström, Stina and Matteo Dressler. 2016. “Assessing EU Support to Governance Reform.” Report submitted to the European Commission under the Horizon 2020 research framework. https://www.berghof-foundation.org/fileadmin/redaktion/Publications/Other_Resources/Scoping_studies_WOSCAP/Scoping_Study_-_Governance.pdf
- Unger, Barbara, Véronique Dudouet, Matteo Dressler and Beatrix Austin (eds.). 2016. “Undeclared Wars – Exploring a Peacebuilding Approach to Armed Social Violence.” Berghof Handbook Dialogue Series No. 12. Berlin: Berghof Foundation. https://www.berghof-foundation.org/fileadmin/redaktion/Publications/Handbook/Dialogues/dialogue12_armedsocialviolence_complete.pdf