Janel B. Galvanek
Senior Project Manager
Janel B. Galvanek is a senior project manager for the project Strengthening Federalism through Conflict Transformation: Community (Re)conciliation and Mediation Support in the Somali State of Hirshabelle which focuses on issues of community (re)conciliation and mediation support, and takes the knowledge base and experience that exists in the communities and adds practical skills in mediation and dialogue facilitation through training and joint learning. She recently finished up the research project Peaceful Coexistence? – “Traditional” and “non-traditional” conflict resolution mechanisms, which analysed the characteristics and forms of coexistence between state-based and/or non-traditional conflict resolution mechanisms on one hand and community-based, traditional conflict resolution mechanisms on the other, and examines the effect that such coexistence has on conflict settlement processes and outcomes.
In the past, Janel managed the project Building Federalism through Local Government Dialogue in Somalia as well as dialogue projects involving the High Peace Council and Ulema Council of Afghanistan. Janel has carried out extensive field research in Liberia and was a researcher for the European Union-funded CORE project Cultures of Governance and Conflict Resolution in Europe and India. Her topics of interest include the interaction between state and non-state actors in conflict and post-conflict settings, engaging local actors in peacebuilding, and the global phenomenon of child soldiers.
- Galvanek, Janel B. and Katrin Planta. 2017. “Peaceful Coexistence? – “Traditional” and “Non-traditional” Conflict Resolution Mechanisms”. Berghof Paper. Berlin: Berghof Foundation. PDF >
- Galvanek, Janel B. 2016. “Pragmatism and Mistrust: The Interaction of Dispute Resolution Mechanisms in Liberia.” Liberia Case Study Report. Berlin: Berghof Foundation. PDF >
- Galvanek, Janel B. and Hans J. Giessmann. 2016. “Everyday resistance to conflict resolution measures and opportunities for systemic conflict transformation.” In Cultures of Governance and Peace: A Comparison of EU and Indian Theoretical and Policy Approaches, eds. J. Peter Burgess, Oliver P. Richmond and Ranabir Samaddar. Manchester: Manchester University Press.
- Galvanek, Janel B. and Samir Kumar Das. 2014. “Learning from Governance Initiatives for Conflict Resolution”. Berghof Paper. Berlin: Berghof Foundation. PDF >
- Galvanek, Janel B. 2013. “Translation of Peacebuilding Rationalities into Practice and its Effects: Local Agency and Everyday Resistance”. Berghof Paper. Berlin: Berghof Foundation. PDF >